The forest-field of Shiloh â
Over the field where April rain
Solaced the parched ones stretched in pain
Through the pause of night
That followed the Sunday fight
Around the church of Shiloh â
The church so lone, the log-built one,
That echoed to many a parting groan
And natural prayer
Of dying foemen mingled there â
Foemen at morn, but friends at eve â
Fame or country least their care:
(What like a bullet can undeceive!)
But now they lie low,
While over them the swallows skim,
And all is hushed at Shiloh.
You have ever remember thisÂ military poemÂ while join in the Ceremony for Memorial Day; it must left deep impression upon your mind, solemn and respectful.
How important the ceremony of Memorial Day is in our life? We should know more about the Memorial Day.
Three years after the Civil War ended, on May 5, 1868, the head of an organization of Union veterans â the Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) â established Decoration Day as a time for the nation to decorate the graves of the war dead with flowers. Maj. Gen. John A. Logan declared that Decoration Day should be observed on May 30. It is believed that date was chosen because flowers would be in bloom all over the country.
Therefore, traditionally, the end of May is a time for laying wreaths at military graves and paying tribute to the lives sacrificed by our troops in order to preserve our freedoms.
This is good time to plan lesson teach our kids learn how to show appreciation for our troops. By teaching your students about the terms âveteranâ and âsacrificeâ you will be instilling pride for our nationâs military in the next generation. The following lesson ideas are so easy to implement, you can use them on May 30, 2011.
- Do your students know the symbolic meaning of our American flag?Â Can they recite the Pledge of Allegiance or sing the National Anthem by heart? If not, thereâs no time like Memorial Day to make sure your students have the basic skills of being a proud American citizen. You can turn this information into a craft activity by following up the instruction with time to color the American flag or illustrating the words of The Star-Spangled Banner.
- How much do students know about Memorial Day?Â Hosting reading activity to leader students read more books about theme of âMemorial Dayâ, know the history of Memorial Day, the significant meaning of Memorial Day, theÂ difference between Memorial Day and Veterans DayÂ etc.
- What can students do to celebrate Memorial Day?Â Though our students know why they should celebrate the Memorial Day, they also need more appropriate suggestion about what they can do. You can ask your students prepare homemade military gifts, you know the homemade military gifts are not expensive but meaningful. Here are someÂ homemade military gift ideasÂ for your reference:
- Thank you military Poems â The best poem is written by students, they can ask help from parents and teachers. Content is not important thing but the heart. These simple military poems are ok:
- Memorial Day CardsÂ â What is special about this card? You can teach students draw a color the American flag in card, use appropriateÂ military quotesÂ describe this card.
- Studentâs show at Memorial Day Ceremony. The ceremonies centered around the mourning-draped veranda of the Arlington mansion, once the home of Gen. Encouraging our students prepare their own show, no matter what they are a song, play, dance, reciting poem etc.
- Visiting military familyÂ â Showing appreciation and concern for them, especially the children from the Soldiersâ and Sailorsâ Orphan Home, they may need more attention and help form society. Students can invite military children enjoy their dinner and small evening party prepare for them.
- Collecting Troopsâ storyÂ â This will be interesting activity, every student can visit our veterans and talk with them, they would like told their special experience when they were soldiers and stories about their comrade who have devote themselves into battle for our peace. Then teacher ask all the students exchange their stories each other. Afterwards, have your students draw to express their feelings about the sacrifices of people who fight for our nationâs freedom.
Memorial Day Events
In observance of the holiday, many people visit cemeteries and memorials, and volunteers often place American flags on each grave site at national cemeteries. A national moment of remembrance takes place at 3:00 p.m. local time. To find commemorative ceremonies near where you are staying, call the closest Vet Center.
To Los Angeles as example, a national moment of remembrance takes place at 3:00 p.m. local time.
- Queen Mary Salutes U.S. Military Personnel The Queen Mary will offer FREE admission to all U.S. active and retired military personnel for a special celebration honoring the military, and the shipâs history as a military carrier over Memorial Day Weekend.
- Fiesta Hermosa in Hermosa Beach Seaside arts and crafts festival with multiple entertainment stages and 270 vendor booths. Thereâs also kiddies carnival, petting zoo, Doggie Costume Contest and Beer and Wine Garden.
- Annual Topanga Days Country Fair: A new age hippy hillbilly jamboree including multiple stages of entertainment, fine arts and crafts fair, healing. Think belly dancing to Old Timey music.
Memorial Day for Veterans
The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) will continue its annual tradition of hosting services at most of its national cemeteries and many other facilities nationwide. The programs, which are the focus of Memorial Day events in many communities, honor the service of deceased Veterans and military members who die on active duty.
Some national cemetery observances are unique.Â More than 100,000 people are expected to attend activities at VAâs national cemeteries, with color guards, readings, bands and choir performances. Events will honor about one million men and women who died in the military during wartime, including about 655,000 battle deaths.
Wear Your Medals on Veterans Day
The Department of Veterans Affairs calls on all veterans to express their patriotism and pride on Veterans Day through a display of medals. The Veterans Pride campaign was launched to promote veterans wearing their military medals on Veterans Day, Memorial Day and the Fourth of July.
You Also Like:
Memorial Day 2011 is a United States federal holiday observed on the last Monday of May (May 30 in 2011). Formerly known as Decoration Day, it commemorates U.S. soldiers who died while in the military service…
Memorial Day is formerly known as Decoration Day, and commemorates U.S. men and women who died while in military service for their country. Memorial Day is a United States Federal holiday and observed on…
The Air Force Memorial, honoring the millions of men and women who have served in the United States Air Force…
The true meaning of Memorial Day is to remember the soldiers who have died in service to our country. But soldiers are not only ones who make a sacrifice â their families often have to make sacrifices as..
Many a patriotic poet has penned Memorial Day poems to honor these brave souls. Patriotic poetry can refer whatâs happening right now. The following patriotic verse for Memorial Day is geared to…
Memorial Day is a United States federal holiday observed on the last Monday of May. But Chinese Memorial Day, Tomb-sweeping Day, Qingming Festival or Ancestors Day is Chinese traditional festival. Today is Memorial Day. This article would like share fresh information about Chinese and American Memorial Day…